New Member: Joining UMRA
All retirees or soon-to-be-retired University of Minnesota employees and/or spouses or significant others, are eligible to join UMRA. You can read more about the benefits on this and other pages.
Retirees joining UMRA for the first time get a year of membership free. Annual dues thereafter are $25 for individual membership or $35 for a couple.
We encourage you to join by registering and paying online: HERE. We will ask you for your email address, and require you to set a password for your record. Online access to your records always require a login using your email address and the password you set. WE cannot see your password but If you forget it you will be able to have it reset quickly and easily.
A paper new registration form is still available from the chair of the Membership Committee, or you may download and print a pdf copy 20170707_join_form.pdf
Current/Previous Member: Renew
UMRA memberships are annual, and expire on August 31. We will remind you to renew via email or postal mail, during the summer months. The UMRA member database is entirely online. You may review and update your record any time, and we recommend you check it out before you renew. The email and password you set previously are fine, but if you don't remember your password you must set a new one. To set a password, click HERE and enter your email address of record. You will get a simple email message with a link that lets you choose and set a new password. (Remember, your record consists primarily of your contact information, we keep no financial contact information.)
When you have your password, click HERE to log in. You will see the “Dashboard” with several choices. We recommend that you start with “Update Your Record.” Inspect and make any corrections needed. We hope you will add information requested that will aid in appreciating membership needs. (If you have difficulties with the member form, please do describe then in email to the Webmaster: email@example.com.
The final step in renewal is the “Renew Your Membership” option on the Dashboard. Please be sure you have made a choice in each option, and then Pay by Credit Card through PayPal (or from your existing PayPal account) or Pay by mailing a check to UMRA.
Special note about PayPal: The first PayPal page you see asks if you want to "Pay with PayPal." Go to the bottom of that page and select "Pay with Debit or Credit Card." The next page should offer you "PayPal Guest Checkout." That's the right thing. Fill out the form and select "Continue" at the bottom. You are finished and can see the results on the page and in an email sent to you.
The University of Minnesota Retirees Association (UMRA) is an independent organization, incorporated by the State of Minnesota in 1978. UMRA has about 500 members, including faculty, P&A, and civil service employees, all of whom retired from the University.
The mission of this association shall be to promote, protect, support and advocate for the interests, rights, needs and welfare of persons who retire from the University of Minnesota. More specifically, UMRA Goals are:
- To help retirees successfully deal with the retirement process, both during their retirement year and into their retirement years.
- To provide all retirees broad intellectual stimulation as well as social and recreational services;
- To oversee and assist in the ongoing provision of benefits affecting the health and wellness of retirees;
- To facilitate opportunities for voluntary service to the University and community;
- To contribute to the development and welfare of the University and its mission and goals.
UMRA needs organizational volunteers to keep the retirees association growing and meeting its members’ needs. We are especially interested in involving those who have joined UMRA in recent years and may be able to offer new perspectives to established committees. Your ideas and your energy can contribute in many ways to the organization.
Volunteering for UMRA
UMRA is entirely volunteer-run. Through their involvement in its management and programs, members not only contribute to the organization’s success but also make new friendships, deepen old ones, and become more aware of the many opportunities UMRA offers. Every kind of involvement is open to all UMRA members, whether former faculty, former staff, or spouses. Consider any of the following:
- The Board of Directors sets policy for UMRA. It normally meets eight times a year, immediately before the monthly luncheon. In addition to the organization’s officers, the Board’s membership [Directors] consists of twelve members elected to staggered three-year terms. If you are interested in standing for election to the Board, contact the chair of the Nominating Committee (who is always the UMRA Past President[Officers]) no later than February.
- Committees carry on much of the day-to-day work of UMRA. Committees [Committees] are appointed by the president, report to the Board, and work closely with the officers. Members interested in serving on a committee may contact the UMRA president or the relevant committee chair.
- Representatives and liaisons: These are UMRA members [Representatives] who represent UMRA to university units or committees relevant to retirees. If you are interested in a representative position, contact the UMRA president.
- Clubs and special interest groups: These are informal, self-governing groupings of UMRA members who share a common interest. Currently they consist of the Photo Club and the Book Club. Members interested in exploring possibilities for a new club or interest group should contact a member of the Executive Committee.
Officers and Board of Directors
President: Chip Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651 699-4286
President-Elect: Jerry Rinehart, email@example.com, 612-802-5627
Treasurer: Carl Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org, 952 942-5005
Secretary: Judy Garrard, email@example.com, 612-486-4850
Past President: Donna Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 612 386-2641
Other Members of the Board of Directors
Steve Benson, email@example.com
Vernon Cardwell, firstname.lastname@example.org
Will Craig, email@example.com
Cathy Lee Gierke, firstname.lastname@example.org
Judy Leahy Grimes, email@example.com
Cherie Hamilton, firstname.lastname@example.org
John Howe, email@example.com
Jeanne Markell, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathleen O'Brien, email@example.com
Claudia Parliament , firstname.lastname@example.org
Richard Poppele, email@example.com
Gloria Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
Representative to Board of Regents: John Adams, email@example.com
Representative to (and member of) Senate Comm. on Faculty Affairs (SCFA): TBA
Representative to (& member of) Senate Subcommittee on Retirement Plans: Jerry Rinehart, firstname.lastname@example.org
Representatives to (& members of) Health Care Benefits Advisory Committee: Dale Swanson, email@example.com, and Ted Litman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Representative to University Retirees Volunteer Center: Jerry Rinehart (as UMRA President-Elect), email@example.com
Representative to Campus Club: Ben Zimmerman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Representative to UM Alumni Association: Jeanne Markell, email@example.com
Representative to P&A Senate: TBA
Representative to Civil Service Senate: TBA
Representative from University Retirees Volunteer Center: John Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Representative from Employee Benefits: TBA
Representative from Provost’s Office: Ole Gram. email@example.com, and Angie Pesch, firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Key Positions:
Newsletter Content Coordinator: Ginny Hanson, email@example.com
Newsletter Production Editor, Sadie Brendalen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Webmaster: Cathy Lee Gierke, email@example.com
Database Manager: Virgil Larson, firstname.lastname@example.org
ListServ Manager/Communicator: John Anderson, email@example.com