UMRA: Who are we?
The University of Minnesota Retirees Association (UMRA) is dedicated to connecting U of M retirees in lifelong, mutual support of the University and each other. Membership is open to all faculty, civil service, P&A, and bargaining unit retirees from all U of M campuses and their spouses.
Incorporated in 1978, UMRA has served, supported, and advocated for the interests of the University for more than 40 years.
By the numbers
• Nearly 600. The number of UMRA members as of March 2019.
o 235 faculty
o 213 staff
o 147 spouses and partners
• 8. The number of monthly programs UMRA hosts annually. Programs typically begin with a luncheon or reception and include a featured speaker plus a workshop on the theme of living well in later life. Excellent programming has been a hallmark of UMRA since its inception.
• 100–150 members and guests. The typical monthly program attendance.
• $23.2 million. The total amount contributed (FY12–FY18) by current UMRA members to the U’s ongoing “Driven” campaign.
• $5,000. Grants of up to $5,000 each are available to U of M retirees through the competitive Professional Development Grants for Retirees program, administered by UMRA and the Office of the Vice President for Research.
• 8. The number of newsletters UMRA publishes annually (September–May) and distributes by mail and online at umra.umn.edu/newsletters. Programs In addition to its eight monthly programs, UMRA offers a variety of group activities, including:
In addition to its eight monthly programs, UMRA offers a variety of group activities, including:
• Armchair Traveler
• Book Club
• UMRA Cares
• Financial and Legal Issues Group
• Journal for Opinions, Ideas, and Essays
• Photo Club
• Social Activities
• Volunteer Opportunities
Designated UMRA board liaisons attend and report on the activities of the Board of Regents, the Alumni Association, the Senate Committee on Faculty Affairs, the Benefits Advisory Committee, the University Retiree Volunteer Center, and the Campus Club.
At A Glance
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Coffman Memorial Union
Conference Room 326
West Wing Dining Room
David McMillan, chair
University of Minnesota
Board of Regents
Salmon with festive and hearty
appetizers, fresh fruit platter, coffee
and tea, plus a cash bar
For special dietary needs, please request when making your reservation.
RSVP by Tuesday, May 14
Prepayment of $30 per person; annual prepayers must make reservations.
Reserve and pay online or send your check payable to ‘UMRA’ to:
Judy Leahy Grimes
1937 Palace Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55105-1728
$6 maximum in University ramps with UMRA’s discount coupon. To reserve parking in East River Road Ramp, contact Judy at email@example.com or 651-698-4387.
Published in 1925, the novel depicts a summer of selfishness and momentary happiness on Long Island.
At UMRA's 2019 Annual Meeting, Regent Chair David McMillan offered a candid description of the work of the Board of Regents, and underscored its committment to serving the U community.