Be all you can be as a University retiree!! Join the University of Minnesota Retirees Association (UMRA).
- Attend stimulating monthly programs and seminars;
- Connect with former colleagues and meet more friends;
- Obtain discounts and other member benefits;
- Stay informed on retirement issues with this website and a monthly newsletter.
See Member Services to join, renew, or update.
Actions UMRA has taken on your behalf:
Professional Development Grants Program—The Office of the Vice President for Research and the University of Minnesota Retirees Association (UMRA) jointly created a grants program in 2007. These grants are awarded annually to support faculty, P&A and civil service retirees wishing to pursue projects related to their research, instructional, or other work history. Details of the programs and awards made are given on this website's grant's page.
Faculty Retirees’ Bill of Rights—UMRA led negotiations resulting in a statement of faculty rights and privileges. The document The Rights and Privileges of University Emeriti (Word doc) summarizes the rights and privileges that are guaranteed to retired faculty by the Resolution passed by the University Senate in 1998.
Keeping in touch with University actions
- UMRA tracks discussions of, and seeks improvements in, health insurance coverage for retirees.
- Designated UMRA board liaisons report monthly on the activities of the Board of Regents, the Alumni Association, the Senate Committee on Faculty Affairs, the Benefits Advisory Committee, the University Retiree Volunteer Center (URVC), and the Campus Club.
University E-mail Accounts—In 2005, UMRA clarified a University policy that e-mail accounts were to be continued for all retirees, and the association ensured that this privilege would be communicated to all retirees and providers. If you believe you are qualified as a retiree but do not have a University e-mail account, please notify UMRA at email@example.com.
University/National Car Rental Contract—All retired University faculty and staff can continue to take advantage of the University's National Car Rental discount contract for business and personal travel, whether in the United States or abroad. Conversations between UMRA and the University Purchasing Services Department confirm that all faculty, P&A, and civil service employees who have retired from the University are eligible for this rental discount program. The amount of the discount varies with location and type of service, but the amount of savings often is substantial. If you are not already utilizing this discount, contact your former department or office for the relevant information, including the contract number.
Peter Moe, the interim director of the University’s Landscape Arboretum spoke at the May, 2016 luncheon and annual meeting. The links to his beautiful slides about Minnesota apples and grapes can be found by clicking the title above.